Sunday, March 10, 2013

TEXT CONNECTIONS

---I think that Fitzgerald represents Gatsby as a Christ-like figure. All that he does throughout his life after meeting her, he does for Daisy, just as Jesus did everything for us. Just like Jesus, Gatsby sacrificed himself to save someone else. Jesus died for the people of the world and took their place even though they were guilty of sinning.  Jay Gatsby did not kill Myrtle Wilson but he died so that Daisy might live because she was the one that truly deserved to die for killing Myrtle. 
---In AP US history we are learning about this exact period of time that the book is set in, the New Era.  I am very glad that I read this book as it gives me a perfect image to the period of disillusionment after World War I that occurred in the 1920s by telling of the characters and their strengths and weaknesses, similar to the average person during that time period. History truly came alive when I read this book and I am thankful that I read it so now I understand the period better.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your second text connection -- I actually used it in my own blog. Having knowledge of the time period made it significatnly easier to relate to the characters and understand the storyline. Also, your realization of Gatsby being a Christ-like figure was very insightful; I personally did not see that connection because it was not so blatant that Gatsby was sacrificing himself. Adding to that, since Gatsby sacrificed himself for true love, it seems as though the situation could relate more to a one-sided Romen and Juliet story rather than Christ; however, it was unexpected and a good analysis of the text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, I think we all immediately thought of AP US history when we started reading this book. It lined perfectly up with the curriculum of that class and you successfully related the two things with your second connection. I agree word for word with the fact that this book made "history come alive." Without this book i don't think the "New Era" would have been even close to as interesting. And, your allusion to Christ was a perfect text connection that you heavily supported with relatable facts about Gatsby. In retrospect he did put of the mystifying embodiment of Christ and often spoke with great knowledge and advice. Evelyn does have a point about the Romeo and Juliet connection, however, I would side with you in that Daisy never was in real love with Gatsby as Juliet was in Romeo. But, both are highly analytical and can be connected in some way or another. More connections would have more thoroughly explained your ideas about the novel. But, altogether the connections were mature and successfully analytical of the relations of characters to other books as well as the lessons from APUSH.

    ReplyDelete